Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to repair fathers XP home machine

• Please log in to reply

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey there everyone.

I'm trying to run a repair for my fathers computer. He has XP home that wont boot. So I want to boot from the CDRom (Change the boot sequence in BIOS)to repair his system and hopefully save his data. The problem is, I don't have a valid XP home disc, and niether does he! Is there something I can do besides buying a new XP home OS? I don't want to do anything illegal and that will give me nothing but problems in the future anyway.

I have a valid XP Pro disc with product key,but not a home disc. My IT teacher told me to run SFC - system file checker - in the run line. What does that mean? I can't even GET to the run line because the computer wont even boot.

Wanna help my Pop, what to do!?!?

Thanks

Richard

P.S. Thanks to the creators of this site. You're awesome!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
SFC will check for corrupt Windows files, but if it finds corrupt files, it'll ask for Windows CD anyway.
You may borrow Windows CD to run sfc /scannow command, but it must be a CD with exactly same Windows version, and same service pack as on your computer.
You may want to provide more info regarding "it won't boot". What does exactly happen?

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have another thread talking about this same topic. So I'll concentrate on that one. This thread can be deleted.

Richard