Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop will not charge

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've just started having this problem with my Laptop, its an HP laptop running Windows Vista. The power plan icon in the bottom right shows that the laptop is plugged in but not charging. I've tried plugging the cord into different outlets and that doesnt seem to be the problem, it recognizes that the cord is plugged in, but just wont charge. Any ideas?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The hard part about charging issues is that it can be three components at fault - your power cord not providing enough power, your battery not accepting the charge, or the motherboard not routing the power correctly. The easiest way to diagnose a problem is by swapping out parts with good parts. Do you happen to have another power cord or battery, or know someone who does? Think hard....

If you look around in the laptop's BIOS, does it tell you the charge of the battery, and if the AC adapter is detected? Does the battery have a charge indicator button on it? Will the battery charge when the laptop is off?