Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

randomscreenname

randomscreenname

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dell dimension 8400

Nothing happens when the power button is pushed. Green light on motherboard is on but none of the ABCD lights in back do anything.
I checked the power source checked with jumper between green and black, it works. I also reset the Bios.

I pulled the power button circuit board from the front of the case but i can't follow the serial cables back to the motherboard to test that part.

Still doesn't work. Anything else I can check? Or is a new motherboard needed?

Edited by randomscreenname, 30 October 2008 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
did you test the power supply make sure that works

if it does, look where the power swich cable plugs in, the 2 prongs it plugs into, just short those to with a screw driver or other metal item, if ur computer turns on after you do that then its prob the power swicth

randomscreenname

randomscreenname

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Shorting the button doesn't work. However the power switch is connected to a small circuit board which is also connected another circuit board which is then connected to the mother board....

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

I know from when you posted in the other thread, you said you'd already tried testing the PSU as I had described in that thread and that the PSU was working, correct?

If so, then the next thing to try is to disconnect everything from the motherboard (i.e all drive cabling, PCI cards, USB devices etc) Leave the memory, cpu & video card in place. Make sure you disconnect the power supply from the motherboard first.
Next, clear the bios. You can do this by either removing the bios battery or by using the clear cmos jumper. Make sure you leave the jumper in the clear position for about 30 seconds.
Reconnect the PSU & try it again.

If you need further instructions for clearing the bios, let me know what motherboard you have (make & model).

When you power it back on again, make a note of any beeps you hear, whether the keyboard lights flash & whether the cpu fan spins up.

In fact, let me know what motherboard you have anyway as it will make life easier!