Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New ram or new pc

• Please log in to reply

morallo

morallo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, im wondering weather i should upgrade my pcs ram with <OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz Memory (2x1GB Kit)> x2, or Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x2GB),
i am using DDR2 but here some specs of my pc if required

Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 245 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

problem is with my current pc its goten prity slow and is 3 years old now i think, slow started up, i get System32\Hal.DLL error on start up, i got 3 seconds to choose a settings on every start up so its anoying when you make changes and have to restart.

but im also wondering weather i should just buy a new pc since this is outdated by abit,

====================================================================
this is the new pc im looking at.
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2)
- DFI Lan Party DK 790FX-M2RS AMD 790FX (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
- Corsair XMS 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400C5 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
- Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- 2x ATI Radeon HD 4850 Pro 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) in Crossfire Configuration
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
- Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
- Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU

im more into gaming then anything els, now i dont know if those specs are good for gaming, i dont realy now alot about pcs,

be great if you could leave abit of info on those specs and what i should be looking for if they arnt good enought.

Edited by morallo, 31 October 2008 - 03:45 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The memory will make no difference, you'd be better off wiping the computer as the slowness is usually caused by Windows. Wiping it tends to clean it out and things start running faster. Also wiping it costs nothing if you have the disk and licence.