Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Work VPN Keeps Dropping at home but nowhere else

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I have a vpn for work and it drops all the time at home but when I'm on the road it has no problems. I posted awhile back and someone suggested to reinstall it so I did get it the vpn reinstalled but it didn't take care of it. It drops like every 15mins at home. However it doesn't drop my regular internet connection at all. What could be the issue?? This just happens at home.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
VPN's are VERY connection intensive.....MOST VPN clients will automatically kill the active session if there is a certain period of "fluctuation" in the connection (which is a good thing....that way you don't end up with a dropped connection on one end an an open connection on the other just waiting to be exploited)....so while you may not notice an issue with the connection in say, internet explorer (which isn't as connection oriented....you tell it to go to a page and it will try till it gets there or fails) there may still be an issue with your connection that is causing the VPN to see a lost connection (some clients are sensative enough to where a 1 sec or less interuption will kill the connection)

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Well when I'm on the road using vpn to do orders it works all the time but when I'm at home it drops all the time. It seems like it is somthing to do with my gateway router. Even when I hook up to the router wired it still drops it. That seemed to fix it alot was just to hook into wired insted of wireless but now it dosen't seem to matter. When I'm on the road at clients i use wireless and it never seems to drop. Only at home??? Any suggestions. If you look at the bottom of the page you will see my last post started Sept. 18th.

Edited by cradl, 31 October 2008 - 07:11 AM.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Even thou my vpn keeps dropping now I can't connect to my wireless alot of time it will work for a couple of days and then nothing. I can however pick up unsecured wirelees by my house and it never drops connection regular or VPN. I have a netgear WGR614 Rev. V6 gateway router. I always have to reset up the wireless connection again and then it works for a couple of days. Any help I would love...!!!

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Can anyone help?? Do you think it is my gateway modem?? Even thou I can stay connected to other peoples wirless and not drop???!!!

wideawake

wideawake

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem as you. My wireless connection to the internet never dies. VPN keeps dropping every 10 -15 minutes. I have a lynksys router WRT110 and my cable modem provider is comcast. My VPN client was reinstalled at work. But I still have the same problem. If you have found a solution to the problem could you please help?