Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Being shafted by Satellite ISP

• Please log in to reply

frontball13

frontball13

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I signed up with a satellite ISP Xplorenet in order to reap the benefits of high speed in east central saskatchewan, canada. Unfortunately, they have outlandish rates with a base of 512 Kb/s down and 128 Kb/s up at base price of 65 per month. I upgraded to the next package that doubles both speeds noticeably but at the STEEPER price of 90 a month.

Tests however show that my download speed ranges between 400 and 500 KB/s still and upload is no more than 100 KB/s. My ping is by far the worst aspect at 600 to 850 ms.

So, my question is "Is there a faster satellite ISP that supports multiple IPs, works with ViaSat hardware, is available in my area, and costs less or equal to what I pay?"

Advertisements