Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing nvidea 8600 GTS,,,, with what though ? ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all , ,
Am in the process of building a new pc based around the ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard.
I have a Q6600 quad core cpu, , 4GB of Geil black dragon PC2 8500 running at 1066ghz and 2 x 320gb sata drives and a 500gb sata drive.

The system will be running on Vista Premium 64 bit.

In my present pc, i have an nvidea ge force 8600GTS graphics card and was thinking of upgrading it as well, , although its always been a decent enough card. I dont play a lot of high end games but do use recording studio software and software sythesizers, wich means i sometimes have 5 or 6 windows open at any given time.

I dont know a lot about graphics to be honest so would be grateful for any advice.

Who is winning the war, , NVIDEA or ATI ? ? ?

Shoud i be sticking with the nvidea 8 or 9 series cards, or are any of the ATI HD cards any good ? Some of them look to be very cheap, , but are they any better than what i already have ? ?

Whatever is left of my old pc is going to a very good mate and if i can get hold of a much better card than the 8600GTS for £50 - £70 then i will upgrade and leave my 8800 in the old pc !

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks , , kev

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i would prob say either 8800 ir the 9800, the gtx might be overkill since you dont do gaming.

I use nothing but nvidia cards. had 3 diff ati card in the past and had nothing but probs, so personaly i would stick with nvidia