Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

autochk:program not found

• Please log in to reply

Flying Turtle

Flying Turtle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, i have the same problem but when i try to access :

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

Type cd \ and press "Enter".
Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
Type exit and press "Enter".

When i type in "ren system system.bak"
it says "The parameter is not valid."

How may i fix this?

Advertisements

fairsky

fairsky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I have followed all the instructions from hfcg provider to flakko, but when I go to the end, before putting in exit to reboot it came up with a message, do you want to overwrite the software, yes/no/all I put no and then exited and no improvements on the computer, I did not know how to answer the overwrite, I do not want to loose all on my computer. I downloaded sp3 and ie8, ie8 is hopeless wouldn't work and I read somewhere to uninstall sp3 to get rid of ie8 and then I rebooted and that is when I got the message on the blue screen autochk program not found and it continously reboots, it will not go past this message. I am operating on xp home. Help would be fantastic and I have just rescued my computer after loosing everything after my motherboard packed up. Also on my desktop is a photo of my father just before he died in January, so I would really like to try and salvage everything. I also have 2 copies on xp on my computer where I tried to install it again to rescue it and I named it windows2 but no previous programs came up, its all brand new. Please help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello fairsky...

It's always better to start your own topic for the problems you're having. Though the symptoms may be similar, the cause may be vastly different.

Open "My Computer" and double click on the system drive (usually C:). Open "Documents and Settings", find your old username and double click on it. You data should be in there. If you are using an OEM machine like Dell or HP and were the only user on the machine, the data may be in the account named "All Users" or "Administrator", so check there, as well.

wannabe1