Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU / Mobo Question

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay, I have been given a 3.6ghz Intel Celeron D and I am looking at upgrading the CPU to a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor to be specific.

I am running a Biostar P4M890-M7 SE for a main board, and I am also considering upgrading the ram from 2 gigs ddr2 800mghz fsb to 4 gigs of ddr2 1066 fsb ram if I can use this cpu on this mother board.

The reason why I ask is that the cpu sheet on the biostar site -> [codebox]http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=173 [/codebox] gives me a non existent CPU according to newegg.com.

So pretty much what I would like to know is if this CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz will work with this motherboard Biostar P4M890-M7 SE. And I already know that in order to get the full advantage of this cpu I need to upgrade the ram and I am looking at this OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC2 8500) for memory.

So yes or no? Will it work or will it fry the cpu, I don't want to drop $170 on a cpu and fry it cause the mobo cant run it.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No, the motherboard will not support the newer generation of processors from Intel, in your case the E8400. If you want some motherboard suggestions, please let me know what your target budget is and if you would like to overclock. If you wish to overclock, please tell me what your target frequency is.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 November 2008 - 03:00 PM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Well I my target budget is under $400 for a Mobo, CPU, Ram, Video Card, and a replacement DVD-RW drive. And that is my max, I was hoping on $300 just for the cpu, ram, and video card. I guess that is now no longer an option.

Well, I guess it is back to the drawing board. If you can suggest some good boards that will allow me to OC the CPU that would be great. I am looking at some ASUS boards right now. Keep in mind while you look for a board that it has to have 2 IDE connections as of right now I have no SATA drives.

Thanks