Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't start - BSOD - driver problem?

• Please log in to reply

mepipe

mepipe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So, I bought a webcam today, installed evrything fine, camera worked, now i restarted my pc and it gets to the part where is says.. windows wasn't shut down properly

start in safe mode
last known good conf.

start windows normally

tried safe mode, last know goof conf and normally - shows the windows logo with the progress bar - it goes round one and a half times approx. and then a BSOD flashes for a fraction of a second and pc restarts and whole process starts again.

I'm guessing it's a problem with the camera driver but how can i get rid of it...thanks

Any help on getting back into windows appreciated...Thanks

Advertisements

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi there mepipe, Welcome to Geeks to Go.

May i know what is the error code that you have when the blue screen appear?
If possible, please post a screen shot of the blue screen or let us know the error code that appears on the screen.
It will be easier for us to understand the situation that caused your BSOD.

As for initial troubleshooting, please do the following.
  • Unplug any usb hardware from your PC/System leaving your mouse and your keyboard (if they are usb base).
  • Have a check on your hardware (HDD cables, RAM) and make sure that they are intact if step 1. above failed to help you get pass your BSOD.

That's all for now. Please reply us with the error code of your BSOD and the outcome of the initial troubleshooting.

Thanks

Edited by sUBtech, 01 November 2008 - 05:12 AM.

mepipe

mepipe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the BSOD flashes too quickly and restarts my pc for me to see anything of use. Done the above and nothing. Any ideas?

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi there mepipe
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Since you are not able to see what is the error code, i would suspect a damage window system file.
Let's proceed with repairing your windows and see how it goes.

For instruction on how to repair Window, please refer below tutorial from our forum. (For Window XP)
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Next

If Repairing Windows does not help, i would suggest you to scan your HDD for bad sector using the Window Recovery Console.
You can refer our tutorial here for how to use Window Recovery Console to run CHKDSK
http://www.geekstogo...xp-t131922.html

Thanks

Feedback to us with the outcome after the above mentioned is done.
Thanks

mepipe

mepipe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
At the xp home edition where it lists the installations, it says "Partition 1 *Unknown*" but Unknown should say XP...I press 'R' to do a repair install and as it doesn't recognise the partition as XP I cant repair.

Any ideas what I can do now?

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

At the xp home edition where it lists the installations, it says "Partition 1 *Unknown*" but Unknown should say XP...I press 'R' to do a repair install and as it doesn't recognise the partition as XP I cant repair.

Any ideas what I can do now?

Good day,
Thanks for the reply. Unknown Partition indicates your current partition for your operating system is corrupted.As for now all your data that stored in the partition is gone. You need to reformat and create the partition again in order for you to install your operating system. You can do some file recovery after you have access to your Windows.

Thanks
sUBtech

mepipe

mepipe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Would I beable to use a free program such as 'Recuva' to get some of the files back later on?

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Yes you can.
Thanks

mepipe

mepipe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
CHKDSK /R
worked from the command line!! Yipee!

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
:)

Nice to hear that mepipe
Your issue solve now without having reinstall windows?