Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy SPAM question

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I was getting on average 130 apam emails a day, so I've recently turned off my BT email address, and changed to a new one. I also got fed up with Mailwasher and did a search and found Spamhilator which is awesome. I was getting about 140 spam emails a day.

Anyway, my question is this: I can no longer use my old address to Send emails, but it can still receive emails. It now only receives spam as I've informed all my contacts of my new address. If I never delete these spam emails will they just build up forever at my BT ISP?

If we all did this would there not be millions of spam just sitting on ISPs just clogging up the system?

I read on the Geekstogo homepage that in 2006 40% of all emails sent were spam, so when we change our addresses then a fair chunk of this must just sit there taking up space, and growing in size daily???

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
MrBlue:

I am not aware of any ISP that allows spam to continually run into a users mailbox without some sort of intervention. Most ISP's that I am aware of would eventually delete the account that is racking up the SPAM email because it causes a burden on the ISP itself. Remember that each email message that you receive takes up space on a mailserver - eventually if you do not check and delete these messages, the ISP could delete them, and most spam detecting software deletes junk mail after say, 30 days or maybe a little more.

Eventually, the account could be deleted and if that is true, the mail would BOUNCE back to the sender. Everyone that has had an email address has gotten spam at one time in their internet journey, and most email accounts, even if you just make a new one and let it sit there for a month you would get some spam mail if you don't even publicize the addresses - It can be maddening sometimes.

Also, if spam is not deleted, it could cause other problems for the ISP or the user, because they could be considered a spam host if not managed properly, and that could put a good ISP on a "blacklist" so spam needs to be dealt with in an appropriate manner, lest the account be unusable and the ISP is unusable because of spam - This is why appropriate spam protocols are needed, and as far as I know, most work well - but in order to work well, they have to be evaluated and changed as necessary and prudent.

What we need to do, and this is hard to do, is to try to put these spam operations down, but they are all over the place, and require a lot of patience, hard work, dedication, and skill - Spammers have different ways to get you, so most of the bad stuff has to be blocked by the ISP's. As System Admins figure one way to stop spam, the spammer is hard at work to try to circumvent the blocks - It's a tug of war that is hard to win.

Just My .02

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 01 November 2008 - 12:01 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I say... I just say! That's a great answer, Brian. :)

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I say... I just say! That's a great answer, Brian. :)

Troy:

Thanks a lot!! :) I know about spam because I have had to deal with it for years on a server I help with in Florida. We used to get THOUSANDS of spam emails a day, and we had to work together to get rid of as many as we could. Back in 2006-2007, I was finally able to reclaim my mail account from spammers, so what I wrote is based on the experience I had when dealing with it, as well as information that I have learned about spammers and the way they operate.

It is indeed in everyone's best interest to STOP SPAM COLD!! - I do not like spam (well, I like the luncheon meat) but not the JUNK

Brian

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

I do not like spam (well, I like the luncheon meat) but not the JUNK

I don't think anyone *likes* Spam.

Edited by piano9playa5, 12 December 2008 - 08:29 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'll have a :) sandwich anyday... :)