Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reccomendations

• Please log in to reply

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
As some of you may or may not know, I'm getting married this coming May. My fiance and I both have laptops, and I have a desktop. The specs on my desktop are as follows...

- Pentium 4 2.8GHz
- Asus P4GV-LA mobo
- 1 GB RAM
- 30GB Primary drive
- 80GB Data drive
- CD Burner
- DVD-RW

I want to be able to use this machine for a backup server for our laptops.

I will definitely be upgrading to at least a 250GB (if not a 500GB) hard drive. I can get a 250GB drive from my distributor for about $60, and a 500GB drive for $75 (right now) so I'm leaning toward the 500. I'd probably also put another 1GB RAM stick in.

What I'm wondering is if I should just look at upgrading the whole beast.

From my distributor (As of today) I can get:

- Asus P5SD2-VM mobo - $45.30
- Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 2.5GHz - $83.16
- Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 667 2GB - $24.83
- Pioneer DVR-216D 20X - 25.76

Total - $179.05

I don't want to put a huge amount of money into the thing, since I'm only going to be using it as a backup server.

What do you guys here recommend? Should I keep the current system and only upgrade the hdd? Or should I upgrade the whole thing?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you are only using this as a server, don't upgrade any of the hardware you currently have, your CPU and RAM is already overkill for your purposes. While I haven't had a chance to use Windows Home Server 2003 (not enough time till the holiday season unfortunately :) ), I think it's exactly what you need and suggest you give it as a try. It'll automatically update the data on your laptops and much more. There is currently a free 3 month trial that can be found here. Lastly, the server uses software RAID that'll backup your data in the event of a hard drive failure. However, considering the hard drives won't be the same capacity and because it is software RAID I wouldn't rely on this 100%.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 November 2008 - 02:56 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hmm...Thanks for the advice. That's the direction I was leaning toward...

Unfortunately, considering my particular board doesn't support RAID, it doesn't really matter.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Unfortunately, considering my particular board doesn't support RAID, it doesn't really matter.

Actually the operating system sets up the RAID, rather then your motherboard. The fact that your motherboard does not have RAID is irrelevant :)
James

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Nice!

How about setting up a backup server using Linux? I was already planning to setup the comp with a dual boot between XP Pro and Linux, but never got around to it. How do people feel about that?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ultimately it's up to you to decide, if you know how to navigate around Linux it is a viable option, but if you don't, it may be more of a hassle then anything. Remember, Microsoft is offering a free trial of their software, so you aren't out anything for trying it. I think this decision is more of a personal one and you need to discover the answer yourself, rather then seeking others advice. So my advice to you is to give both a shot and figure out which meets your needs best.
James

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
OK, will do that. Thanks!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade I could help, if you have any additional questions, just let me know :)
James

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Thanks, I will do that :)