Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA or IDE for OS drive ? cant decide

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi al,,
Am almost ready to start putting my new build together and am thinking about drives now.
I have an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard which has only one IDE connector and 8 SATA connectors.

I have 1 x 80 GB IDE drive
1 x 320 GB SATA
1 x 500 GB SATA, And a mate has just given me a 40GB SATA drive as well.

What would be best to install VISTA 64 BIT onto, ,

I was originally going to use the single ide connector to run both my dvd drive and the 80gb ide drive (dual cable) and install the OS on that.
But, , now i have this smaller 40gb sata drive as well, wouldnt it be better to install the os on that drive and keep the other 2 sata drives as well and do away with the ide hard drive altogether ? ?

I was planning on using the 320gb sata drive to install my DAW , and only my daw, ,(digital audio workstation ) for my recording studio software and software pluggins and soft synths. Nothing else would go onto this drive.
The 500gb drive would be for storage, , my 100gb music library, and video files etc, , ,

So , ,40gb sata or 80gb ide for the OS and peripherals drivers etc , , ? ? ?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
The SATA drive would be faster. It's a trade off between speed and space. *personally,* I would probably go for the speed - especially if you're going to install all your programs on another drive.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Yes i know, , speed versus volume !

All that will be on the main drive is the OS, and drivers for my printer,scanner, pci cards etc.

My recording software (cubase 4 ) and software synths will all go onto the 320gb drive as some of the vsti lbraries can run into many gGBs.

The 500gb drive is for my personal music colection and videos etc and for any other storage.

I suppose staying all sata is gonna be beneficial.

Wish i could afford another 200gb+ sata drive and just instal the OS on that.
Many thanks, kev

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
How much can you afford?

Here's a nice 160GB SATA drive from Newegg. Price - $41.99
Here's a 250GB SATA drive, also from Newegg. Price - $49.99.

I've been finding that the larger you go in size, the lower the price gets per/GB. If that makes any sense :)

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Yes i know , ,
Unfortunatly i live in the uk and theyaren quite as cheap :)

£50 ish should get me another 500gb, but i just havent got it at the moment.
With all i hav spent recently and christmas around the corner i cant warrent spending on another.
I dont want my 5 yr old daughters only christmas present to be watching the LEDs glowing on my new pc ! !

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ah, gotcha. I didn't know you live in the UK. Sorry :)