Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Distributed Computing Team

• Please log in to reply

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hello! I have an idea to propose to Geeks to Go...

Creating a Distributed Computing Team

The one I currently use, and have in mind is Folding@home. Folding@home is a Distributed Computing application that tries to figure out why protiens misfold. The point of this is to solve serious diseases such as Cancer, and the more help in this project, the better. Each project that your computer downloads and starts processing is called a Work Unit (WU) and for each one completed, depending on the size of it, is deemed a point value. It incorporates the point-system to encourage more folding to move the project further. You can check out the Folding@home project (proudly presented by Stanford University) here.

If Geeks to Go didn't want to create their own team, might we consider creating an alliance with another tech site, Tech Support Forums? This wouldn't be to rival against each other or do do anything or breach our TOU, but to have the users on Geeks to Go that want to support such a project have a team to join. It's not about anything else but helping the world. If you would like to see what accomplishments the TSF team has accomplished so far, you may check that out here as well. (TSF Team # 85015) I'm on the list there with the same username "skyhintack" but you may call me Sky for short. When checking the statistics, you may encounter an Update page error, that's because they update their users points every 45 minutes.

I thank you for the consideration of this addition to G2G. :)

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Hey Sky,

Not sure if your proposal is something that is in line with Geekstogo's goals and is acceptable, but I will PM an admin and point him here.

Edited by Ltangelic, 06 November 2008 - 05:23 AM.

TechSabre

TechSabre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I already suggested this to admin and didn't get a reply so I assume he isn't interested.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
There's a search function on this board that might have pointed you in the right direction. http://www.geekstogo...lding home team. This has been proposed several times in the past.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
My feelings are mixed on these distributed computing programs. While I used to be a proponent of using your computing horsepower for a good use, now I think you might just do the world more good by turning your system off at night. I have no problem with people joining such efforts, but there are plenty of teams available, or you can join without a team.