Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop screen and external monitor

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, I've looked on this forum for the solution for this problem and couldnt find one.

My laptop has 1280x800 resolution and when I connect it to my external monitor (samsung 22" TFT) and I change to a higher resolution, its fine for that session. But when I reboot my laptop, the screen that appears on the samsung TFT is completely different resolution to the high-res one I chose prior to shutting down.

So everytime I reboot, I have to reset the resolution to the high one and the settings never get stored! Its very annoying because it wastes time and also the desktop icons get messed up on each bootup.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the settings stay in memory so I dont have to switch back to high-res at each startup??

Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you change the settings to higher resolution without connecting the external monitor are they saved?

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
well yes, cos I use 1280x800 all the time, even as I type now.

So its only with the external display that it doesnt save the higher-res setting.