Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer freezes then windows wont startup

• Please log in to reply

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,

Yesterday my PC froze. There were diagonal blue lines going through everything on both monitors. When i tried to reboot, there was something wrong on the load screen for the motherboard. There was 4 or 5 green lines on the right side of the screen and then windows wouldn't load. I was able to start windows in safe mode but the desktop picture was not there and it was replaced by thick blue lines. I then cleaned out the case with compressed air (it was pretty dusty). I turned on with no problems after the cleaning.

It ran all night with no problems, used it for 3 hours today and the problem came back. But now i cannot fix it.

My PC
motherboard: ASUS M2N4-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 4600+
video card: GeForce 8800GTS
power supply: Antec 400w

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
best guess is the video card has overheated and is dying...

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yea that is what i was guessing too after i saw how much dust was in it. I watched the temperature closely but it never got above 70 (while playing a game) which isnt to hot for a gpu. My other guess was that the motherboard is broken. I also noticed that the power of was acting weird. I turned the switch on at the back but the power button on the front would not work for 10 secs.

I think the first thing im gonna test is the video card gonna buy one today or tomorrow and test it.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well the lines and stuff on the video is what has me thinking that it's the video card.... I suppose it could also be the processor or maybe the memory....

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
also something i noticed when i start windows up in safe mode there are symbols and number on the right side of the screen when the list of files that are loading are being displayed in dos(or whatever). There are like 5 vertical lines of it seem to consist of sigmas, division symbols and fractions. They appear over the lines of code of files being loaded.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yep with artifacts like that pretty sure the video card is messed....

DashnSlash

DashnSlash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yup it was the video card replaced everything is working again thanks for the help

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
No problem....

glad you got it sorted