Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Video Card Suddenly Not Working

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Howdy,

3 months ago I installed a brand new Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3650 and it has worked fine. This morning when I turned my PC on it showed the first 2 startup screens (the screens which allow "F" buttons to be used), the Windows XP screen with logo and a scrolling progress bar beaneath, then my monitor went blank. After about 5 seconds my monitor went into stand-by mode. Even though my monitor was blank, I could hear the tones that play when XP finishes and my Desktop comes up. I was able to get my display working properly again after switching the video back from PCI-E to my on-board chipset.

I've tried some simple troubleshooting I found in another thread here, and my Motherboard, RAM, and Power Supply are all fine. Some other comments on-line mentioned driver issues, so I downloaded and installed the latest driver released (10/15/08) from ATI, but when I tried restarting with the video switched back from on-board to PCI-E, I had the same problem. I could hear XP starting up fine, but my monitor went blank after the XP logo screen.

Due to my general computer-ignorance, I'm pretty much at the end of what I can find to try and diagnose the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it's important, my PC is a HP Pavilion a1620n. My OS is XP Media Center '02.

Advertisements

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
:) Please disregard. Problem fixed on my end. Thanks, anyway.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Cabranth,

Do you mind posting your solution here for anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread, say via a Google search?

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
:) Hi, sorry about the tardy reply. I just found the notification in my e-mail that there was a response here.

Sadly, I have no idea what actually resolved the issue. I tried everything listed above, as well as downloading all the latest updates for XP from Microsoft. I tried restarting my PC with the new Card 2 or 3 times after I posted here, and the last time it worked. It's been back to normal and just fine ever since.

I'm sorry, but I'm just too ignorant to understand exactly what happened in the first place, or why it went back to normal. If it goes kablooey again, I'll be back of course. :)