Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

(D) disk full (C) disk half full?

• Please log in to reply

harrold

harrold

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:) I don't understand this (D) is nearly full and ©is half empty. What's the difference? Is (D) copying files? Why is D full and not C?
I have a laptop with Vista, run updates, malware, anti virus, defrag, disk clean up, delete files programs regularly. I don't how it could be full.
Could you please HELP. Here is a bit of information that might help, I hope. Please forgive my ignorance with your site. I 'm not sure if I have the right subject. Found it hard to negotiate but it has the best and useful advise.

.Drive C:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 67.18 GB (72,135,671,808 bytes)
Free Space 36.47 GB (39,157,137,408 bytes)
Volume Name
Volume Serial Number 25D50390

Drive D:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed No
File System NTFS
Size 7.35 GB (7,888,039,936 bytes)
Free Space 3.46 MB (3,629,056 bytes)
Volume Name PRESARIO_RP
Volume Serial Number 8874071C

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Disc

Edited by harrold, 02 November 2008 - 07:08 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Drive D is recovery partition. Press F10 on the first screen and that's where it gets the data from to reset the computer. Leave well alone. This is normal for Compaq.

harrold

harrold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you Neil for your reply but what do I do? You said press F10 to reset then you said leave well alone. I really need more disk space but don't know how. I've deleted every thing not needed. Could you please help. Could it be something 'strange'? virus, spyware etc even though I have done scans.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Your C drive has a capacity of 67Gig.

You've used about half and have about half left - can I simply ask, why do you feel you need more disc space urgently?

harrold

harrold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Because a message keeps coming up saying 'low disk space' on (D)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

This is a fairly common problem in Vista. The restore/recovery partition is supposed to be full as it contains the restore image but is not designed to hold anything else. There is a way round this but it means editting the registry so you need to follow the instructions precisely. I also recommend you create a system restore point first.
To do this:
1) Click on Start, then right click on "Computer" & select Properties.
2) In the System area of the control panel, click "Advanced system settings" on the left
3) Select the "System protection" tab
4) Make sure only the C drive is ticked, then click on the "Create" button
5) Follow the instructions to create a system restore point

Next follow the link below to get the instructions for making the changes in the registry:

Disable low disk space warning - Vista only

Be advised that I have not tried this myself so use at your own risk!

harrold

harrold

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Samm but I was looking at something to lower my disk space. I have been doing some searching on my computer and realised I have been saving backups on to D drive. I will try and remove them.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you really want to free up more disk space, then I suggest maybe transferring as much stuff as possible (i.e music, photos, downloads & maybe backups) to DVD. That way your data is safer as well as allowing you to free up space on your hard drive. Just remember to test the DVD first after burning to it before you delete the stuff you copied from the hard disk!