Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HDD write protected :(

• Please log in to reply

bcji

bcji

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey guys, first of all apologies if this post is in the wrong section within the forums - i'm sure where exactly my problem lies.

Ok, so on the outside my problem looks simple; when trying to copy files from my internal harddrive to my external drive i get an error message that reads something along the lines of ' X file can not be copied..The disk is write protected. Remove the write protection or try another disk '. This also happens when trying to transfer files from my internal HDD to usb memory sticks (i have tryed 3 separate usb sticks). I am running Windows XP Pro, SP3 on a Dell Optiplex GX620.

Posting on here is really my second point of call, after googling the problem and not getting anywhere. Quick list of things i have tryed: Run > CMD > diskpart > lis dis (list disk) > sel dis * (select disk) > ATTRIBUTES disk read-only no > exit to get out of diskpart. I have also removed the HDD SATA caple twice, rebooted every time. Plus, shutdown > removing the CMOS battery for 5 mins > reboot. None of which have got me anywhere to solving this write protection problem.

I am the administrator on my pc, and as far as i know have rights to every file on my computer. The only changes to my computer system recently have been installing photoshop CS4 extended and installing (and then uninstalling because it was in my opiniun poor) Vista trasformation pack from thoojse. This said, I don't believe either of these will have changed my rights on my pc because i have used the transformation pack in the past and photoshop is a brand new highly tested app.

I am confuzzled :S

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

bcji

Advertisements