Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help booting a laptop via PXE

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Cheque arrived today, so sometime next week when it's cleared I'll order the new stuff. :)

Progress :)

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Funds transferred by 3rd December -- next Weds. :)

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Ordered it today, should be here within 3 days so either Friday or Saturday.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
:)

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
It arrived earlier, I put it in the desktop and the plan went perfectly. I transferred it to the laptop and reinstalled Windows again (so it was set up for the right hardware) and it was working great. I installed XP SP3 & restarted and now it's gone again... I have NO idea what could have brought this on, but it's really annoyed me.

Things are slightly different this time, now when it starts up the hard disk activity LED is lit permanently and then it initialises PXE & the CD-ROM, works out that there's no ethernet cable or cd in the drive and then just presents me with a list of boot options. If I scroll to Hard disk it doesn't do anything.

I tried putting the XP CD in, but it blue screens during loading setup. The Vista CD is a great help as it lets me access the command prompt. When I type in CD C:\ or CHKDSK C:\ it says that the path couldn't be found. And then, when I head on to install Windows Vista it tells me "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation."

So, I'm guessing hardware problem? Within the first day. :) I think fate is against me here.

I'm gonna call the online store where I bought it from tomorrow and see if I can get another one shipped out. :/

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry for the delay
Do it again from start - DO NOT install sp3
Cheers
Peterm

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Don't worry, I know everyone here has real lives and jobs :)

I downloaded the WD disk tools CD and it said that there was an unknown problem with the disk, so I sent it in for repair. It's arrived at WD's factory or whatever, we're just waiting for them to send us a new one out.

I'll keep you posted. :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Please DO NOT update to SP3
Cheers
Peterm

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I won't, don't worry :)

I reckon it'll arrive after Christmas now, so have a Merry Christmas if we don't speak till after then. Thanks for all the help :)

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

We have received your defective product. The replacement drive will be sent out as soon as possible. You will receive an email notification once the replacement product has been shipped.

Your replacement product is currently being processed for shipment. The current turn-around time is between 5-7 business days.

Took it's time didn't it? By the time this is finally finished it'll be time for me to give blood again :)

So, 5-7 business days and I'll be back. I'm not going to update to XP SP3 (until I get the OK from you), am I alright to install everything else I would like Office 2003 and Windows Live Essentials?

Happy new year to all :)

Edited by o2mcgovem, 06 January 2009 - 09:35 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Happy new year
Thats odd I never got a message saying you had replied :)
By all means install everything else.
Cheers
Peterm
The blood bank will be happy :)

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
[removed, no longer needed :)]

Edited by o2mcgovem, 12 January 2009 - 08:29 AM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
:) The hard disk came at 10 this morning and I've spent most of my day looking for the screws to put it in the enclosure thing. I've checked everywhere! I'm one of those people that doesn't lose things (ever) and so for this to happen is kinda traumatic! I remember putting the 4 screws in a small plastic bag and then putting that bag into a drawer full of screwdrivers and tools. Alas, they're gone

I'm guessing they're a standard size since all of the 3 hard disks I've had have used the same screws. I pass a Maplin (the only shop that does computer components on the hight street) on the way to work, and I'm in work next on Thursday... so, FRIDAY I'll start!

Is this the right type? I'm not sure, they seem OK to me. I might just bring the enclosure into the shop with me and ask them just to be sure.

Thanks for your help so far! :)

Hopefully we can get this done soon, this saga started in November! :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Are you sure the screws are not in the hard drive. Every drive I have bought have had the screws in them.
Is this the enclosure for the laptop?.
Those screws you linked to are very dear to buy. If by chance I ever needed screws like that then I would expect my local shop to charge me nothing or a token 50p.
If the screws are just to hold it into the desktop whilst you copy the image then don't worry just sit it in loose.
A lot of times I just hang drives via the wires :)
Cheers
Peterm

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Yeah, the enclosure is for the laptop and there's no screws included with the hard disk. Don't forget, I'm not buying 4 screws for £3, I have to buy 50... I don't have a local shop :/

Here's some photos to better explain what I mean (sorry about the quality, it's a camera phone)...

Edit:Just found the exact screws for the laptop on eBay, quite a feat since it's an uncommon laptop. I'm not paying £6 + 3.50 postage & packaging, however. I've emailed the seller to knock of the p&p, I'll let you know how that goes.

Edit II: Just bought some screws on eBay for £2 (inc. delivery) that should work with this laptop caddy (not enclosure as I said lol) :)

Edited by o2mcgovem, 13 January 2009 - 01:04 PM.