Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply

PaulNixon

PaulNixon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer has a hard time starting up. I have to push the start button about 20 times to get it to powerup (and i also flip the powersupply on and off while doing so because it seems to help...) Once it is up however, it will stay on until i shut down.

Specs are:
athlon 3200+
leadtek 6800 gt
asus k8v deluxe mobo
1 gig ram
500w TY power supply

This problem occured right after i built it, but was leaving for school the day after so i just took it as it was and worry about it. The problem wasn't as bad at first (would startup after only a short time pushing the button) but got progresively worse as the year went on and i was always afraid the next time it turned off would be the last.
I think it might be a bad powersupply.. but the fact that it has no problem staying up and was on practically the entire school year makes me think otherwise. My other thought was that it might be the actual start button on the case.. but before i took it to school i plugged a start button from another case into my new comps mobo and the problem persisted. I supose it could be the motherboard but i hope it isnt :tazz:

appreciate any help or thoughts

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Check the case switch by doing this, remove the connectors from the case switch to the mobo then very carefully touch the 2 pins that the switch connected to with a screw driver and release, this should instantly start the computer if it does then the case switch is bad.

Make sure the 4 pin 12v connector from the psu to the mobo is seated correctly
Make sure the 20 or 24 pin connector from the psu to the mobo is seated correctly

If it does not please list the name brand of your power supply (psu) and the amps on the 12v, 3.3v and 5v rail, this info is usually listed on a decal on the psu.

If the 12v rail is rated for less then 20 amps then replace the psu. Amd recomends at least 18Amps but most users of Amd 64 systems report that a Amp rating of mid 20's is best on the 12v.

I recommend a Antec true series of 430w or 480w or a Ulta X Connect 500W. I have all of these and they are very good but like the ulta because of its modulare cable design that keeps all the cables tidy.

Rick