Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possible For Processes To Not Appear In Task MGR?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

I'm looking at a buddies Dell laptop that is incredibly slow. I open the task manager and find that the processor is maxed out at 100%, but the process don't reflect this. They only show about 20% CPU usage. Is it possible for processes to not appear in the list?

I'm not sure just yet why this laptop is SOOOOO slow. After the initial Windows Load screen goes away, you are taken to a black screen for about five minutes. After logging in, it takes another two or three minutes to get to your desktop. Then, several minutes later, it's still trying to load small background programs (though he doesn't really have enough to make this much of a difference).

Any ideas? And what about the missing processes?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Yes it is possible to have "hidden" processes running and these are usually associated with malware.
One tool from which these processes cannot hide, however, is called "HijackThis" and is probably the most downloaded
free anti-malware tool.

Go to the 'Malware Removal' forum here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html
Read the 'pinned' posts regarding the use of HijackThis, download it, run it, and do nothing
else with it except post it's results (the logfile) on that forum where you will receive instructions on what needs fixing.

Please don't post HijackThis log here on this forum. Post it on the Malware Removal forum only.

Edited by phillip22, 03 November 2008 - 06:17 AM.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Update...

I tried to install HiJackThis, but I can't do ANYTHING on this computer. Each program that is trying to load is maxing out the CPU making the laptop extremely slow. After a few minutes pass, an error pops up stating that "The application failed to initialize properly. Click on OK to terminate the application." I got this with IE, CMD, and all of the programs that try to load in the background just after getting to the windows desktop. One by one they crashed. After about an hour, that fiasco seemed to be over, but I still couldn't run MSCONFIG or open the EVENT VIEWER. They just didn't do anything at all.

Also, I can't find a place in the BIOS to set the CD ROM as the primary boot device on this DELL INSPIRON 1300 so I haven't been able to run my memory test either.

Even in safe mode, I am unable to open CMD.EXE. It still gets the application error I mentioned above. Also, safe mode takes just as long to boot as regular mode does.

I've never seen one so messed up before. Beyond a restore, I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm going to tinker with it for one more day and see if anyone else has any more ideas before I use such extreme measures.

OH...I did find a site via Google that stated that this kind of problem is usually related to messed up securities with DLL files. He explains how to fix with from a command prompt, but I can't get there to test his theory.

Thanks,

Brian