Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Original Icon Missing on dasktop

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
fresh install of win XP Pro updates everything then IE 7 bombed. So I uninstalled it thru add and remove and reinstalled it with download from microsoft. Now missing IE icon on desktop. Would like original back. alredy tried reg edit windows,
currentversion,hidedesktopicons,newstartpanel,newDword,{871C5380-420A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} value and set to 0 then refresh desktop and didn't work any thoughts???

Advertisements

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

" ... fresh install of win XP Pro updates everything then IE 7 bombed."

Hi cradl . Not too sure if your saying you did a fresh install of WinXP Pro ? , or updated it ?

The Shortcut to Internet Explorer can simply be created by going to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Just right click on iexplore.exe , and in the context Menu click onto "Send To" > Desktop (create Shortcut)
A shortcut will appear on your desktop . That simple . It will say iexplore.exe , but you can Edit it to say whatever , ... i.e. IE 7 > ... end with clicking on "Apply"

To start editing your Registry is so dangerous that I just couldn't go past your post without saying you risk damaging your whole System if you muck up in REGEDIT .

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes fresh install and then updated it to SP 3. I noticed when you do this SP3 takes away the option to go to desktop properties, desktop, custamize desktop, under desktop icons they removed IE icon. I know how to do the new icon but I cas wondering how to get the original icon back without the arrow, I know I can use power tools to get rid of the little arrow but just was wondering if anyone else had this problem and fixed it.