Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check disk in R console

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Just ran it on hardrive with split partitions. 64% compleated and says The volume appers to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. Then kicked back to C:\WINDOWS>. What to do???

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
did you use chkdsk /r /f ?

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I used /r not /f. What is the differance? Recover and Fix?? Should I use /f?

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Well some say /r automatically implies /f. I tend to just do both chkdsk /f /r to be certain both commands apply. /r does a recovery of any data it finds can be recovered while /f simply fixes errors.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
chkdsk /f invalid now what do u sugest? an chkdsk /f/r or r/f runs repair and gets to 64% smae thing.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Why aren't you running chkdsk while booted into windows or safemode? Is there something wrong with your OS? I forgot to mention that /f is not available in recovery console so /r must imply /f then sorry lol.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
ya I just thought it might do a better job in dos. running it under windows ie. right click c: prop. check disk and it found nothing1-5 stage 4 of 5 hanging o percent compleated after 5 min. like it froze.??

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I don't think it froze it usually takes a while to do a complete chkdsk, I thought the same impression when it looked like it was just hanging there. I would just run it through chkdsk under the properties of C or do chkdsk /f /r in command prompt.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
it's been over 1/2 an hour still at 0 percent. I don't want to restart and mess it up but don't know.