Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 First Look: A Big Fix for Vista

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I installed pre-beta Windows 7 (build 6801) on virtual partition couple of nights ago.
I didn't have much time to play with it, but from I saw so far, there is no dramatic change from Vista, at least comparing it to changes from XP to Vista.
If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer.

I saw very little change from Vista as well.
IE8 is a dog, I had to use firefox to browse.
File transfer to, or from optical (DVD) drive is slower than with Vista.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Really? I found just about everything about 7 to be faster than Vista, and I'm a fan of Vista, so that's saying something. I have been very pleased with 7 since the earliest beta. There are still some bumps ahead, but that's why they call it beta!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I think part of my dislike for Vista was because I was so used to XP. Now that I've gotten used to Vista (even tho I still really don't like it) I found Windows 7 much improved. It's a LOT faster then Vista, and the UAC (I think) isn't as annoying...it's still there, just not every time you go to open something :)

The only reason I see myself going back to XP is when the beta runs out and I don't have enough money to buy the full version of 7 when it's released!

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I really don't understand what the problems are with Vista. I've been using Vista Home Premium since April of 2007. At first I did have a few issues with it but back then it was pretty new. Today, I love Vista and have almost no issues with it. I don't and won't ever expect any OS to be problem free. After all, they're created by mankind :)

I also like Vista for the Speech Recognition feature which I believe XP is lacking. I'll go with Windows 7 when I buy a new PC, which'll probably be after another version of Windows comes out, a few years down the road. :)

I've always been a step behind the times...it's hard to catch up :)

Edited by countryboypride77, 26 February 2009 - 09:20 PM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

I also like Vista for the Speech Recognition feature which I believe XP is lacking.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306537 :)

On-Topic:

Haven't tried Win7beta, but I will likely buy a couple of copies once released. I still use XP on all my machines*,
as I saw no need nor desire to upgrade to Vista. But from what I've read and heard, Win7 should be much easier
to navigate around and certain things are made easier. As for Hardware, it should also be much less demanding.
1GB RAM will do, and even 512MB would still have it going.

*Got a cheap laptop with some Linux Distro's also, for learning. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I got a buddy that talks way over my head all the time. He has been in the computer business(Large corporations, Military, personal computers) for like 33 years. He absolutely despises Vista. He swears up and down that no one could of possibly tested that OS the way it should have been. He starts talking about numbers and programing, I don't know. I remember one conversation I attempted to have with him and he was talking about how one of the computers he was working on for one of his clients was having some sort of hardware issue. He said come to find out that Vista was programmed???(don't know if that is the correct term) with some numbers ending in just 1, instead of it being 001. (Something like that) And I'm not talking about IP addresses either. He went onto say that this problem was already solved by Microsoft in Windows 98 with an exact same problem in Windows 95. And here all the way to Vista, they go back to it???? He gets real fired up over it. He has told me a few other stories about Vista and talks about the internal guts is what it sounds like to me and he says its absolute junk, written and designed terribly.

One time I said I was scared of ever having to deal with a Vista issue and he said :) "Working on computers with Vista is like a Doctor having to work on cancer, you have to do it whether you like it or not."

I wish I could have more technical talk but I don't know all that programming language and all that stuff.

So how that relates to the Topic is that I'm very interested in what my buddy thinks of 7 when it comes out. He has the beta, but hasn't installed it yet. Everytime I see him he brings it up "Gonna test this out one of these days" and holds the CD up in the air. :)