Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer opens with every app

• Please log in to reply

dellcomp2

dellcomp2

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Everytime I open an application, Windows Installer comes up for a few seconds then disappears.

I have Internet Explorer 7 and Microsoft Office 2003.

Also, I'm not sure what happened, but it says I have low-memory on C:

I looked at My Computer, and it showed 60GB on two other drives, and a lot less on this drive, the C drive.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Windows Installer problem: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

"Low Memory" warning: This refers to the size of the paging-file or "virtual memory" on drive C, which Windows uses
to shift data around when your physical RAM has no free capacity left.

You either need to remove some programs or other stuff from drive C so Windows has more room to breathe (uninstall some programs and re-install them on a different drive), or you can put the virtual memory paging file on a different drive instead of having it on drive C. you can do that as follows:

Control Panel-->classic view-->System

Click 'Advanced' tab

Click the top-most 'Settings' button

Click 'Advanced' tab, then click "Change" at the bottom.

Select a different drive at the top and click the "System managed size" radio button.

Now click the "Set" button, then click OK.

Restart Windows.

Personally I would opt for the first option (Uninstall some programs and re-install on a different drive).
I say that because it's often better to leave the paging file on the same drive as Windows if possible.
If the other drives are slower than C drive, moving the paging file could make Windows slower.

Edited by phillip22, 04 November 2008 - 08:01 AM.