Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New ATA HD is running slow

• Please log in to reply

alabovic

alabovic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Dell dimension 8200. Recently i replaced broken HD (100GB WD ATA100) with brand new (320GD ATA133 Hitachi HDP725032GLAT80). From that moment my troubles started. My computer won't support ATA133 (max ATA100)
Disk is running as slow as it can. I've tried all those stuff.
1. In win xp SP3 is shown that it runs in PIO mode, and I tried all possible solutions. Uninstall primary IDE channel. Still won't do anything.
2. I changed registry (MasterIdDataCheckSum...) Nothing
3. I updated my BIOS to latest version A09. Nothing
4. I contacted Dell support. An IDIOT was trying to answer my questions. NO comment
5. I contacted Hitachi support, and they did they best. I run software to make my HD run in DMA 5 mode. And when i run Hitachi tests it shows DMA5. Still won't run. I've even tried to lower DMA of my HD from 5, 4, 3. But no changes . It runs slow.

Can anyone help me with my problem?

I considered bying PCI ATA 133 controller, but I don' know if this is good idea.
Don't give me solutions to by new disk or even new computer, because I have my own reasons.

Thank everyone who wants to help me

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Difference in performance between ATA133 and ATA100 is not noticeable. A drive at ATA100 will perform just as good as one at ATA133 all other things being equal.
A device in Device Manager that runs in PIO mode usually means there's an issue with that device. Change the IDE cable and also look in BIOS if an option is available for UDMA support as with modern drives if this is off performance drops through the floor.