Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

release/renew

• Please log in to reply

LKemper83

LKemper83

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, I've been trying for the past week to connect my computer to cable internet and I'm having quite a few problems. I have a fairly old Dell computer with windows XP and I've gotten through pretty much everything but I can't get it to reset the IP address. I was told that i need to "release and renew" it but when i try I just get an error message that says "the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation". I'm tired of going in circles with the dell tech support so i was hoping someone in here may be able to help me.

thanks.
lisa

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi Lisa,
Have your verified you have drivers installed for your NIC device? Check device manager to make sure no yellow questions marks occur asking for Ethernet Controllers.

LKemper83

LKemper83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no it says that it's running properly

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Try a combination of restarting your computer, modem, and router and unplugging the ethernet from the back of your computer. Wait until the modem and router finish booting and then plug the ethernet back into your computer. Let me know the results.

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
or try to take the router out of the question and plug the ethernet cable straight into the modem and cpu to see if it is the router. Sometimes this will reset everything if you can hook up to the net. Then shutdown unplug restart modem them start router and plug back into the router and see if thats works.

LKemper83

LKemper83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
nope, still nothin

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Please go in to your control panel
  • Open Internet options
  • Select connections
  • Select LAN settings
  • Make sure that there is a check in the box next to automaticlly detect settings

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I see your getting help for the same thing here . It’s a complete waste of time for helpers if you are receiving help at two or more forums, because we have no idea what others have told you to do, or what else you did as you tried to fix the problem.

Form your other post….

The modem is RCA and i have it hooked through a switch which is netgear. i've talked to both comcast and netgear and their equipment all works fine. I used comcast at my old residence on my computer and it worked just fine. It wasn't until i moved and tried to hook it up here that it wouldn't work.

Comcast is responsible for hooking up your internet at your new residence, call them and they will come out and fix it. I just went through the same thing you are talking about two days ago. The tech will plug your connection straight into the modem, contact Comcast and they will advise/connect with your new IP Address. If the internet is not running to your house now there is nothing we can do get it there :)