Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Antivirus softwaredeleted Userinit.exe, now in logon/logoff loop

• Please log in to reply

peeroe

peeroe

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi all,

I've been searching the web for a solution to my problems and geeks to go has given the best advice so far. Let me give a description of what has been happening. Please let me know if you need more details about my situation

* I have a dell laptop that has 1 cd drive and no floppy drive, running XP

Yesterday, I decide to update my anit-virus and spyware softwares. I downloaded both Symanted and Spybot Search and destroy version 4.0 from my university (free of charge) Somwhere along the way, I got click happy, and when I tried to log in I ended up getting trapped in a loop where it would log me in, my wallpaper would display, and then a "saving settings" and "logging off" box would appear. This loop has been fairly common apparently as many threads have been posted about it.

I eventually got into my recovery console and found out that I had no userinit.exe in my windows\system32 folder. I did however have userini.exe there. Based on websites, I think this was some sort of virus/trojan. Also, I did not have a wsaupdater.exe file in that folder (this has been proposed to be the problem on many threads). It is possible that the wsaupdater.exe file had been deleted by my antivirus software, but I cannot make any guarantees on that.

I have done a few things based on other solutions I have found online.

1) I deleted userini.exe from my system32 folder
2) I copied userinit.exe from c:\windows\system32\dllcache to c:\windows\system32. This did work
3) I copied userinit.exe from e:\userinit.exe to c:\windows\system32. I believe E is the drive that is running my service pack 2 disc. This also did not work.
4) I then followed the instructions on this website: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;892893
and copied userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe just in case something was still going on there. I still was trapped in the logon/logoff loop.

I do not know if I need to get a new copy of userinit.exe

I am now asking for help from the geeks. If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Again, please let me know if I can clarify anything.

BTW, I am not really computer saavy; Ive learned most about this system recovery stuff in the past few hours while searching for a solution. However, I am quick to learn, and I dont think im completely dense about the comp.

Edited by peeroe, 03 November 2008 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Have you tried doing a system restore to an earlier date?
System resore will not cause you to lose any data.
If your system is infected with malware the malware experts can help you clean it, but lets get you running first.

peeroe

peeroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Is there a way to do a system restore in the recovery console? Windows says that i cant do it

http://support.micro....com/kb/304449/

I've seen some sites on the web that give some instructions, would you recommend any?

Thanks again for your help

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

peeroe

peeroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
after

Type ren system system.bak and press enter

i got a response that says

"overwrite all software? yes/no/all"

i do not know what to do at this step.

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the late response

Edited by peeroe, 04 November 2008 - 06:25 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Type exit and press "Enter".

peeroe

peeroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Woooooo it has worked. My computer runs fairly well, i'm just pretty sure it has some spyware and whatnot running that I need to get rid of. Thanks for your help.

peeroe

peeroe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I checked my windows\system32 directory and I now have wsaupdater.exe. Is there a safe way to remove this without using an antivirus program?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please post in the malware forum, giving them this information.
You should also put a link to this topic (right click the address bar and copy/paste).
Please follow their directions exactly and you will have a clean machine.

jpatrin

jpatrin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I went through the procedure and at the last step of overwrite all software i hit enter, not exit and then enter. The fix didn't work and now I tried to start over again and I get the message that system.bak already exists so I cannot continue any more. What are the options?

gtvalgy

gtvalgy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:

• Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

when i type cd, on prompt,show it.
c:\windows
c:\windows>
then i type
cd system~1\_resto~1
show it:
the system cannot find the file or directory specified.

Edited by gtvalgy, 17 September 2009 - 05:27 AM.

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi gtvalgy, :)

Each problem is unique as is each system. The steps here may work, but may not depending on your exact issue and what caused your issue.

Please start your own thread in this forum. Include your computer system specs, when the problem started, what exactly the problem is (can you log into your desktop at all? Can you get into safe mode? Have you tried a system restore outside of this method? Do you think it started because of a virus?) and what you've tried so far to fix it.

If you get any blue screens before rebooting, let us know that too. :)

Edited by n3ko, 17 September 2009 - 06:35 PM.

gtvalgy

gtvalgy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello! tnx for reply.
the OS is XP, notebk toshiba 1.8G intel celero M.
i run avast to clean viros "win 32-vitro" and never strt again.it just log on and automaticle log off. when i try to log on go to log off.
i put XP cd to recover, and did not solve.
i do not have IP to conect to my desktop.
any ideia?
note: i am mozambican and my inglesh is poor,i hope u understand what i try to explain. tnx!

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Your english is fine. :)

You need your own thread. You will not get any help from another person's thread.. :)

Go Here.

In the top Right is a blue box that says >New Topic.
Click it.

Make your own post. Put everything you wrote here in it. :)

Edited by n3ko, 18 September 2009 - 11:47 AM.