Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

clicking application icon with no response

• Please log in to reply

victoretta

victoretta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After running an application by clicking its icon and exiting out, clicking the same icon again would NOT start the application unless I re-start the PC. Clicking the program in the "Start/All Program" list does not work either. Is this a problem with the Registry?

This happened on a PC running WinXP Pro

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
This is usually a symptom of the program already running as a process even though it's interface window is not open. I've known this happen with firefox but can also happen with any application which runs some of it's components as a 'process' as well as an application.
Next time it happens, open Task Manager-->Processes and it's very likely a component of the "non-starting" application will be listed as running.

Just 'end' that process and you should be able to start the application without rebooting.

Some applications can take a while to fully unload when you exit them and the only advice I can give is not to attempt
to re-open an application immediately after closing it. Some apps close down almost instantly when you exit but some don't.
There's more to an application closing down than just closing it's window -- a lot of the closing down process goes on 'behind the scenes' as it were, and some take longer than others.