Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Ask.Com as default search engine for Mozilla 3

• Please log in to reply

Lucas Diao

Lucas Diao

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i tried your method but it didnt work

Advertisements

Lucas Diao

Lucas Diao

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i tried some of them like the about:config and the restore one but they all did not work why is that

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Lucas Diao,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

What OS (Operating System) do you have and which browser? (Just in case I need to provide exact path)

In IE: uninstall the Ask toolbar that should be found in Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista/Win7).

In Firefox it can be found by clicking Tools > Add-ons > Extensions

Here's a link that may help as well.

Remove and Delete Ask Toolbar and Its Components From Internet Explorer and Your Computer

You have to be very observant when installing software these days. Many vendors will add the Ask Toolbar as a pre-checked option and many users end up in this same situation. Always be patient when installing anything.

Let me know if that helps or not.

Donna :unsure:

Edited by DonnaB, 10 September 2011 - 04:32 PM.

twisp

twisp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried a system restore to a time when ask.com had not taken over my browser. Didn't help. I tried the about config suggestion. Didn't help. I've removed any reference on any place I can possibly come up with. Doesn't help. My last resort is to reformat my harddrive. Before doing this does anybody have an idea I can try. I cannot believe that a program or whatever it is has taken over my computer when I use Firefox. There is no problem when I use Internet Explorer. I like Firefox and want to keep using it.

InspireICT

InspireICT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This Ask thing p***ed me off so much I registered on this site to share how I fixed it.

I tried all of the above suggestions and the Search provider kept changing back to Ask.

I even considered a reinstall of the whole PC until I checked Scheduled tasks on the computer and sure enough Ask had installed a scheduled task on my computer to reinstate itself as the default search provider.

On Windows XP scheduled tasks is found inside the Control Panel. You can delete the task or, as I did, double click on the task and remove the tick in the "enabled" box (Thus disabling)

I know it's been a while since the last post on this but hopefully it'll help someone else who has this problem.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi InspireICT,

Welcome to Geeks to go!:)

Thanks for sharing!

@ twisp,

Welcome to Geeks to go to you as well!:yes:

You still need help getting rid of ask.com?

Donna :)

phojo

phojo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Follow these steps for System Restore:

Control Panel
System and Security
Restore your computer to an earlier time
Open System Restore
Next
Pick a date to where you want your computer restored to then click on
Next and follow the remaining prompts.

Since I didn't do anything important to my computer in the preceding week, there was nothing I was concerned about that Restore would delete. It worked for me and I had no problems with "Ask" since I did the Restore.

that has to be one of the worsesolutions to this problem posted... talk about a sledge hammer approach where a finger push is required. and the potential to cause you extra grief... why even suggest it here? its not helpful at all and may lead others down a bad road. system restore is for restoring your system, not a 3rd party application that you gave permission to modify another 3rd party application.

the 'cron job' check along with the about:config method is the simplest method which will work and will properly remove ask.com from your browsers config so that it isn't suggesting things for you.

Edited by phojo, 02 November 2011 - 12:24 PM.

rrbcki1

rrbcki1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just want anyone to know that I just tried this option tools>Options>Main>Homepage>Restore to default....) and it worked terrically! One thing I'd add is remove ASK.COM from the list of defaults first, then click OKAY.

Adytzu04

Adytzu04

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hy everyone! I just found the easiest way to remove Ask From your search engines in Firefox. Just open up a new tab and tipe "about:config" then search for "browser.search.defaultenginename" . As you can see it's Ask.com at value, just right mouse button on it and click on Reset! Done!:D

InspireICT

InspireICT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is what I kept doing over and over again before I noticed the scheduled task which is set up to reinstate Ask.com. So make sure you check scheduled tasks as well as making that change in abou:config

Advertisements

Branwen G.

Branwen G.

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am so frustrated! I can't even get to the down arrow in Firefox!!! Ask is everywhere and I can't find it anywhere!!!

Branwen G.

Branwen G.

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, Mine had Google in it... what next?

Branwen G.

Branwen G.

• Pip
  • 3 posts
THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Branwen G.,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I'm so glad you found the cure in this thread.

The Ask Toolbar/Search Engine is very aggressive as you have found. The toolbar is infamous for its inclusion in freeware applications. Many users install a bundled version of the toolbar accidentally, especially if they do not pay attention to software installation dialogs that include the toolbar in the setup. That is why we stress that you pay attention to what you are installing and uncheck any prechecked options in the dialog windows.

Have a great day! :)

master joe

master joe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Your Home Page Nevr Being Changed
:alarm:
Some websites illegally modify your registry editor and set their website as default home page, for stop this,

1. Right-click on the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop and select "Properties".

2. In the "Target" box you will see "C:\Program Files\Internet

Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE".

3. Now by adding the URL of the site to the end of this it overrides any
Homepage setting in internet options:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" BY MASTER JOE :killcomp: