Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to transfer data from one system to another

• Please log in to reply

gosonics

gosonics

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How do I transfer all the data files from an old computer's hard disk to the computer that I am currently using? The old computer is an older Compaq laptop with a broken 3.5 diskette A: drive, so manually transferring by diskette is not an option. I do have internet access with my current computer. I am not sure about what specifications I have in the area of interfaces, ports, connectors, or cables.

Advertisements

IMT533

IMT533

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You can use a DrivelImage from PowerQest. There is a special and power tool “MagicMover”. It is a special tool for this operation.
Salut.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
unlikely the laptop has a CD burner, so thats out.
if you have an ethernet port, just network them together, and move the files. if you dont have a home network set up, you can connect the 2 PC's directly using a crossover CAT5 cable.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
if you don't have network cards you can use a cross over Parallel cable
What is the other operating system

gosonics

gosonics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the help suggestions. Problem is still not solved. I am not giving up. When I do solve it, I will post here exactly what I did. Any more suggestions? Old laptop is Windows 95, new desktop is Windows XP.

Edited by gosonics, 23 May 2005 - 12:26 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
do you have an ethernet port on the laptop?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok as Audioboy asked do you have an ethernet port on the lap top
if not then do you have a parallel port.
Also you need to copy some files from XP on to the 95 machine
as soon as we work out what connections you have I will advise what files you need

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
simple go buy for just few pounds usb hdd cady stuf drive in it copy what you want back forth then pop it back in the lab top or usb link cable so cheep now and u can use it for any thing