Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant boot in safe mode, it hangs with gagp30kx.sys

• Please log in to reply

Onderdole

Onderdole

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
as i said cant boot in safe mode, it hangs with gagp30kx.sys

so i read through thsi thread

http://www.geekstogo...ot-t119053.html

I can get VGA mode to work and the recovery console.

I put in the WIn XP dist and bootesd from there, selected repair changed the name of gagp30kx.sys to gagp30kx.bak

and retried in safe mode

now it hansg on aliperf.sys

i relay realy need to get into safe mode can someone help me please

AMD athlon 64 3000+
XP SP2
MSI K8T Neo2-F V2.0 motherboard
samsung sp0802N harddrive

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if all of these drivers are failing on boot it seems that you've got a bit of a windows corruption...can you do a repair install of windows?

Repair the Windows XP installation.

To do this, follow these steps:
  • Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
    See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
  • Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
  • When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
    - To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    - To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

• Press ENTER.
  • Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
  • A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:

- To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    - To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

• Press R.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards.
NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP.

Onderdole

Onderdole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi dsenette,

i did what you suggested.

after selecting R for repair windows XP i got the windows setup screen ( blue) and it said it was examining disk configuration, ti stayed liek thsi for about 1 min then it returned a prompt saying select instalation to goto.

there was only option #1 so i presses that

then i was just at a dos scree,

with the promts

1:c\windows

and that was thay, is that the repair process?

after ward safe mode still locks up at that aliperf.sys file, and when i used hijack this to see what version of XP i was running it was still with SP2 so the repair process did nothing i guess.

its a legit Windows XP pro CD,

what now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you didn't follow the instructions right...what you got to was the recovery console....
follow the instructions above EXACTLY

Onderdole

Onderdole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
sorry for the delay in taking the next step.

I just have to fish out the CD from the pile left after the house move and make sure ive got all i need upgrade wise so as to be able to get myself back afterwards to where i was should it have problems.

I'll complete the step tonight

Onderdole

Onderdole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ive found my SP2 cd, i needed that as i would have trouble DLing the 200+Mb file via my current ISP at the mo, problems with my service.

Im hesitating a little as im concerned that an XP and SP2 update will upset many of the applications i ve loaded i.e. comodo firewall, spybot , my drivers etc.

will it?

does SP2 contain the sasser and blaster work protection or is that additional updates im gonna have to dl in advance?

Onderdole

Onderdole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
sorry ive not done the repair yet

ive been workign late and commitmentsa have stoped me rinnign it late in the evening.

I'll be free to run it on my day off ( This coming Thursdsay)

PunkyFeople

PunkyFeople

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I joined simply to give the solution I found. I had the same issue, hanging at gagp30kx etc. etc. Tried it all, ubuntu, puppy, other computers, etc. etc.

The problem turned out to be the one thing I overlooked for a while... the main drive (C: drive) was full. Windows must have room to write to the registry at all times, if drive C is full then windows can't boot.

I used ubuntu, cleaned the drive of some waste and boom, I have a start button in the lower right corner now.

Try this before you go into the more complex recommendations above. Not that this will always be the solution but considering it is easy and less invasive, give this one a shot first.

Happy Computing.

Thanks,
Derek Rayburn
Geek of 30 years.