Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I delete a hard drive partition

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question so if it isn't please direct me to the correct forum. I have a hard drive with C: and D: partitions and I need to delete the D: partition without ruining the files on the C: partition. Do I need special software to delete the partition? Where can I get good simple instructions on how to delete the D: partition? The reason I need to delete the D: partion is because my backup software defaults to the D: drive when I make a cloned image of the primary drive on my slave drive and as long as there already is a D: drive on the primary drive the backup software can't find the cloned drive which has become drive E: by default. If I can delete the second partition the slave drive would become the D: drive by default and the backup software would be able to find my files and boot up from the cloned drive should the primary drive crash. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer then choose manage then choose disk management...in the bottom portion of that screen right click on the "d" partition and choose "change drive letter"...then change it to something other than D...be forwarned that anything that's going to be looking for something on D won't be able to find it now