Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How do I reformat from Vista to XP?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So basically I'm a victim of Vista. Has deleted a bunch of my files, uses a crapload of space just to FUNCTION, such as simply turning on or opening a file.

I've backed up my files, the ones I need (like my music, pictures, sound files, word documents) into four zips, then sent them over aim to a friend for safe keeping until I can switch over to XP so he can send hem back.

I currently have Vista since that was the OS given to me with my laptop.
My laptop is by Acer.
I have an older computer that had windows XP and I believe I still have the driver somewhere.
I still have the drivers to my laptop, the ones given with it, as well.
Now how exactly do I reformat my computer?
I'd love some help, thank you.

Edited by Ketsy, 04 November 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello Ketsy,

Installing XP is not as simple as people might think. There are a lot of things you need to know about computers to actually do it. Besides the technical side, the computer maker, in your case ACER, may not even have drivers for XP related to your particular laptop model. Many manufactures decided not to create drivers for models that are natively loaded with Vista, so your machine may have to stay on Vista. Although some Vista drivers will work with XP (and visa-versa), not all will, so you cannot simply install Vista drivers and expect your computer to run in XP.

The first step you have to take is to contact ACER to see if your model can run XP. You can do this by visiting the ACER website and looking up your model, or calling their help line. If your model can run XP, then the manufacture may even be so kind as to supply you with an ACER XP disc. Call them and talk to them... you never know! ;-)

If in fact, you are able to get the drivers (or an Acer XP disc), the next thing you should do is see if you can have someone install XP for you... preferrably someone with "high" compentency in regards to computers. If you have a friend who can do it, then fine, or you may have to pay someone to do it for you.

There may also be a "legality" issue with installing XP using a disc from your old computer... not to mention that the disk may not even install as it most likely came from a different OEM. A lot of OEMs also have their own specific drivers on the XP disk, so it may very well just refuse to work once it discovers the computer is different.

The best advice I can give you ... call ACER.

Good luck!

Edited by makai, 04 November 2008 - 05:04 PM.

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You can not use the disc from one computer to install Windows on another computer.
Besides being illegal, it will NOT work.
If you where to buy a valid copy of XP, you will have trouble with the drivers for your SATA hard drive.
You would have to find the drivers, put them on a floppy disc (which I doubt your machine has) and install them as SCSI drivers when prompted (using the F6 function at set up).
Why dont you give Vista a chance, most problems with Vista start at the user not wanting to change from XP.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The last Acer I saw had Vista on it, it had to be rolled back to XP. Couldn't be done, entire setup was AHCI which is a technology Vista can see straight off but XP can't without extra help. No BIOS option to change it.

Needed F6 driver from floppy, the machine didn't even have a connector on the board for a floppy disk drive and had no legacy support for a USB floppy. Couldn't even use generic drivers to get it to see the CD unit.

Drivers weren't an issue, generic drivers would suffice, getting it past the initial setup was the major problem. Tried every trick in the book and came to the conclusion it was pretty much impossible short of changing all the hardware.

Edited by Neil Jones, 05 November 2008 - 05:13 PM.