Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can You Change Connection Speed Via Registry Tweek?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

It's a Dell Laptop. I recently doubled my RAM to speed this system up for a friend at work. He brought it back the next day telling me that it was still slow. I askem him to be more specific, and he said his Internet is slow. At his house, he connects wirelessly.

What I've done:

1. Allowed his laptop access to my own wireless router and determined that Internet WAS slow.
2. Reset his web browser (IE7).
3. Uninstalled IE7
4. Ran a full virus scan with Windows One Care.
5. Disabled the wireless NIC and connected him directly to my router via a patch cable.
6. Downloaded and installed Firefox.

With all three browsers (IE7, IE6, and Firefox) and on either connection (Wireless or Wired), I can't seem to get a connection of more than 13k or so. It takes approximately 45 seconds to navigate from one web page to another. If the new page is graphic intense, you'll wait longer. Since it happes with either connection type, I can't blame those. Since it happens with all three browsers, I can't blame those. I've never seen anything like this before.

Do any of you know if there is a registry setting, or any other program or setting, that would prevent his laptop from making a faster connection to the internet?

Any and all information will be grealy appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
http://www.speedguid...t/downloads.php

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
phillip22:

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of that program but it WORKED! It took forever for me to get to the webpage and run it, but after that...the Internet on this laptop is blazing again. My friend will be very excited. I appreciate your help.

I'm going to have to save that one for sure.

After the install, though, I tried to update windows so he could get the latest security patches and an update to IE7 again, but it wouldn't work. It kept telling me the page could not be found. I've never heard of those update servers going down before, but I suppose it's a possiblity. That was last night though. I'm going to give it another shot in a few minutes. If I still have problems, I'll make another post if I can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Magus

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
that works for you ?? it never worked for me :)