It's a Dell Laptop. I recently doubled my RAM to speed this system up for a friend at work. He brought it back the next day telling me that it was still slow. I askem him to be more specific, and he said his Internet is slow. At his house, he connects wirelessly.
What I've done:
1. Allowed his laptop access to my own wireless router and determined that Internet WAS slow.
2. Reset his web browser (IE7).
3. Uninstalled IE7
4. Ran a full virus scan with Windows One Care.
5. Disabled the wireless NIC and connected him directly to my router via a patch cable.
6. Downloaded and installed Firefox.
With all three browsers (IE7, IE6, and Firefox) and on either connection (Wireless or Wired), I can't seem to get a connection of more than 13k or so. It takes approximately 45 seconds to navigate from one web page to another. If the new page is graphic intense, you'll wait longer. Since it happes with either connection type, I can't blame those. Since it happens with all three browsers, I can't blame those. I've never seen anything like this before.
Do any of you know if there is a registry setting, or any other program or setting, that would prevent his laptop from making a faster connection to the internet?
Any and all information will be grealy appreciated.