Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

E8400 or Q6600 ? / CANT DECIDE , , HELP !

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all, ,
I still havent built my new pc yet, despite having almost everything here ready to put together.

My only stumbling block at present is what processor to get.
I am stuck on a choice of only two, , , ,The C2D E84OO, or the QUAD Q6600 ? ?
As they are near enough the same price nowadays is making my desicion even harder.

I have a P5Q PRO motherboard, ,
4GB GEIL PC2 8500 ram running stock1066mhz,
Graphics are nvidea 8600 GTS ,
2 x 500gb SATA drives and 1 x 320gb SATA.
OCZ 650watt psu,
Coolermaster wavemaster case.

I will be running the pc as a genral purpose pc, , music,, occassional videos, office,internet and email, , , , , but also as a computer music recording system (DAW ) , running cubase 4 and external usb or firewire audio interface.

Some people are telling me that the E8400 outstrips the q6600 both as stock and overclocked, , , but others are telling me that the q6600 outstrips the E6400 and can be overclocked much higher than the core 2 cpus and is a slight future proof processor.
I dont intend to overclock either as i havent any overclocking experience at all, , despite the P5Q being an overclockers dream board.

It worries me that the q6600 is an entry level quad cpu,whereas the E8400 is a higher end C2D , , , i dont know what to do? ?

Both are 64 bit so will work with 64 bit vista, , , one is built around 65nanos and the other at 45 nannos, , , how does this affect performance ?

So many questions and everone seems to be so divided on this issue.