Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Limited or No Connection/ conflict of IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply

bex222

bex222

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am living in University residences in France, and my LAN connection has worked fine up until yesterday afternoon.

Now, I can get to my network login screen, but after the countdown to refresh the network begins, the symbol of the 2 computers appears and tries to aquire the network address. When this doesnt work, I get a internet explorer cant show this page page.

If I try and repair the connection, it wont renew my IP address. Manually entering IP adresses allows the LAN to connect, but nothing will come up, not even the login screen. Occasionally i get the message, System Error - The Ip address conflicts with another on the system.

Any ideas? Im completely desperate.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Without having control of the network there isn't a whole lot you can do. I would contact your school's network administrator about the problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree with titan....you really should contact the administrators...if the school is supplying the network then they should supply support

If I try and repair the connection, it wont renew my IP address. Manually entering IP adresses allows the LAN to connect, but nothing will come up, not even the login screen. Occasionally i get the message, System Error - The Ip address conflicts with another on the system.

you're getting that ip address conflict because you're setting a static IP that matches one of the systems that's already connected...in a large scale network that you don't control...avoid assigning a static ip because you don't know which ones are already in use

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You're not receiving an IP from the network because some setting in the network configuration isn't correct or is missing. Go through the school's instructions for connecting to their network carefully and follow every step. The fact that you're getting an address conflict when you manually set an IP address means that you're at least communicating with the network, which is good. But check the naming requirements and follow them carefully.

Good luck!