Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB/ETHERNET cable modem

• Please log in to reply

fredthompson

fredthompson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have had Magic Jack for sometime now and all works fine. Except incoming calls are dropped after about 45 seconds. My modem is ran threw a Linksys wireless broadband router 2.4 ghz. When I plug my pc direct to the modem all is fine and no dropped calls. Question is can I use the USB on the modem for my desktop and keep the Ethernet hook up to my router at the same time for my wireless needs. The modem is a Comcast by Scientific- Atlanta, Inc. P.S I am a DIE Hard and can't help myself trying to make things work.

Thanks For your Time!

FWT

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Your post belongs in the 'Networking' forum. Posting in the wrong forum can often result in it being ignored.

I don't use a separate router (mine's a combined ADSL router/modem). All I can suggest is you try it. It will either work or it won't, but you won't damage anything by trying.

fredthompson

fredthompson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you !

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Question is can I use the USB on the modem for my desktop and keep the Ethernet hook up to my router at the same time for my wireless needs. The modem is a Comcast by Scientific- Atlanta, Inc. P.S I am a DIE Hard and can't help myself trying to make things work.

i assume that you have a desktop next to the router/modem and you're wanting to do ICS (internet connection sharing)....it's possible that this would work....but i don't think you'd be able to use the router to accomplish this (don't quote me on this because it may be)....ICS is for people without routers...you basically turn your computer into a router by turning it on...

one way that i could see this working would be if you installed a wireless adapter on the PC that's connected to the modem via USB....then you would enable ICS on the usb connection to the modem....THEN you'd create an Ad-Hoc (pc to pc) network across the wireless adapter in the PC and the adapter in the remote computer (the one that you want to connect to the internet wirelessly)....this would remove the router from the mix..but should allow for file/print sharing as well as ICS...of course this also means that unless the desktop is on and the wireless is active your remote PC won't be able to connect to anything.