Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cd drives

• Please log in to reply

meem

meem

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) Hi i am a self taught oldish mum well 60 but young at heart.
Here is the problem i have 1 cd drive and 1Dvd drive,when i try to down load anything on to a Cd a message says please put a writeable cd in e-drive e-drive does nothing only plays Cds.
it will not down load to D drive but D-drive does burn cds off the hard drive :but will not recognise when downloading off my computer or photo's
Help Meem
straight forward if possible to answer

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What symbols are on the front of the drives?
Sounds like you may only have a CD unit and not a CD writer.

meem

meem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Sounds like you may only have a CD unit and not a CD write

HI NEIL,

Thank you for your reply i drive is a WRITEMASTER MULTI DVD AND CD WRITER,and i do burn cds for my family on this drive with Nero.and of course play music

Drive E IS A DVD MULTI RECORDER, I PLAY DVDS AND MUSIC .
What the problem is when i have saved anything in my documents,and you down load it to a cd which i have done numerous of times.
NOW IT SAYS PUT A RECORDABLE CD INTO E DRIVE NOT C DRIVE AS I ALWAYS USE BUT WHEN I TRY TO ALTER IT TO E-DRIVE NOTHING HAPPENS,SO BOTH DRIVES DO NOT RECORD FROM MY DOCUMENTS OR ANY OTHER PART OF THE COMPUTER,BUT LAST NIGHT I BURNT 8 CDS PERFECT.
Thank you for your time Neil.
Take care
meem x :)

meem

meem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Sounds like you may only have a CD unit and not a CD write

HI NEIL,

Thank you for your reply D drive is a WRITEMASTER MULTI DVD AND CD WRITER,and i do burn cds for my family on this drive with Nero.and of course play music

Drive E IS A DVD MULTI RECORDER, I PLAY DVDS AND MUSIC .
What the problem is when i have saved anything in my documents,and you down load it to a cd which i have done numerous of times.
NOW IT SAYS PUT A RECORDABLE CD INTO E DRIVE NOT D DRIVE AS I ALWAYS USE BUT WHEN I TRY TO ALTER IT TO E-DRIVE NOTHING HAPPENS,SO BOTH DRIVES DO NOT RECORD FROM MY DOCUMENTS OR ANY OTHER PART OF THE COMPUTER,BUT LAST NIGHT I BURNT 8 CDS PERFECT.
Thank you for your time Neil.
Take care
meem x :)

Edited by meem, 05 November 2008 - 07:18 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sorry, Neil, I'm going to jump in here.

meem, please follow the following instructions very carefully. If you get lost, don't guess, just post back here with your question. We're going to edit the registry, which can be dangerous. In this case, it is very safe, as long as you're going to the right place.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Post back here with the results!

meem

meem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Admiral,
Thank you for your reply and thank you for the directions unfortunatly i will only be able to get the computer without distraction Sunday afternoon.
My youngest son gave me my first grandson 1st June 2007,and Nanna has babysitting duties friday and friday night.
my only daughter gave me my first grandaughter 14/6/2008,and yes i am babysitting for her saturday,sunday is senior citizens day (ha).
It is the day when i am at home with no distractions.
I thank you for your time and will get back if i have blown up the computer on a lap top
thank you again for your time
Love healing and peace.
meem x

meem

meem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Sorry, Neil, I'm going to jump in here.

meem, please follow the following instructions very carefully. If you get lost, don't guess, just post back here with your question. We're going to edit the registry, which can be dangerous. In this case, it is very safe, as long as you're going to the right place.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Post back here with the results!

meem

meem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Admiral,
Thank you so very much i followed your step by step instuctions and yes it is up and running.
keep up the good work,i will be posting another few problem,as a self taught computer person i do sometimes go wrong not many though.
Once again a big thank you.
love healing and peace
Meem