Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume Error and hal.dll missing/corrupted error

• Please log in to reply

chrozer

chrozer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok....I shut down my computer not properly because my Wifi adapter when disconnected won't let my computer shut down so I had to force shut it down. I restart the computer only to get the Unmontable Boot Volume Error. So I searched around for my Windows XP Installation disk to get to the recovery console to do the chkdsk and fixboot commands, but once I choose the option for it, it gives me the hal.dll missing/corrupted error. So now I have know idea what to do. Help?

BTW I have a Dell Dimension Desktop Computer if that helps.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi chrozer, welcome back to Geeks to Go!

It sounds like you know how to get into the Recovery Console, so I want you to boot back into the Recovery Console and run the following command: chkdsk /r with a space between the k and the /. If you ran chkdsk with the /r last time, then just skip this step. If not, enter that command and press Enter. This will take significantly longer than a normal chkdsk. Once it is done, type exit and press Enter to restart the computer. If it still isn't working, we'll fix the boot entries.

Boot into the Recovery Console again, and this time, use the command bootcfg /rebuild again with the space before the /, and follow the prompts on the screen. It will ask you "Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)", type in y and press Enter. It will ask "Enter Load Identifier:" Just type in Windows XP Professional and press Enter. When you see "Enter OS Load options:", enter /fastdetect and press Enter. It will give you a message that it was successfully added to the boot loader, type in exit and press Enter.

Report back with the results!