Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

figolamingo

figolamingo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi my sister in law is having some problems with her laptop.

Basically, whenever she boots up as soon as she gets to Windows she gets a BSOD with the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message, the same thing happens if she boots in to safe mode.

The technical information on the BSOD is as follows:

*** Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X00000018, 0X00000002, 0X00000000,0XF83C825D)

******** iaStor.sys - Address F83C825D base at F83B9000, Datestamp 422f3bcc

beginning dum of physical memory etc etc etc.

As far as i know she hasn't made any changes to hardware or software recently.

I've done a bit of hunting before coming on here, and have tried to reinstall the intel matrix storage manager to no avail. Each time i try this i get an error message saying something like the system does not meet the minimum requirements for this software.

The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro v2040.

Oh, i've also tried repairing from a windows disk, but that didn't work either.

One last thing, although the problem happens in safe mode as well, if i boot in to safe mode with command prompt it's fine.

Any suggestions would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You need to change your SATA operation so you can boot into Windows and install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. First, you need to get into your BIOS, also called "System Setup." Look for a message as your laptop starts up that says "Press DEL to enter the BIOS" or "F2 for System Setup". Press the appropriate keystroke to access the BIOS.
Once you're in, look for a SATA or hard drive setting, that is either AHCI/ATA or Legacy/Advanced. Just change it, which means that if it is set to AHCI, set it to ATA, or vice versa. Changing that setting will let you boot into Windows. Then install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and change the setting back to where it was. You should be good to go.

Please post back here with the results, particularly if you were able to find the setting or not. I've never seen a Fujistu BIOS. :-/

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
At what point of booting does BSOD happen?
Two main cause of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, are overheating, and bad RAM.
Run memtest: http://www.techspot....topic62524.html

figolamingo

figolamingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Admiral - Thanks for this, i will try as soon as i get home tonight and let you know. I know there is a AHCI setting in the BIOS (think it's currently set to enabled), but i didn't want to change it as i didn't really know what it was.

Broni - The BSOD happens as soon as the computer get's to the desktop. It appears to finish booting up and then gets a BSOD straight away, so i don't think i can run the memtest, thanks though.

figolamingo

figolamingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Admiral - Just tried changing the AHCI setting from Enabled to Disabled and it wouldn't even boot to windows. With AHCI enabled i could get to the log in screen, enter a password and get to the desktop, then i immediately got a BSOD. With AHCI disabled i can't even get to the log in screen.

Any more suggestions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

so i don't think i can run the memtest

...which means, you even didn't look at my link. memtest creates bootable CD, so it doesn't matter, if you can access Windows, or not.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As for overheating, it's also possible, even, if you receive the error so quickly, because CPU will heat up in a matter of a second.
Keep computer off, open the case, and clean it well inside with compressed air. Turn it on with side panel off, and see, if all fans are running.

figolamingo

figolamingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Broni, thanks a lot, i will try this tonight. Thanks for your help, i will post the results.

It's a laptop though so i'm less confident with opening it up.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

It's a laptop though so i'm less confident with opening it up.

Oh, I wasn't aware, it's laptop. Don't try to open it, then. Make sure, all vents are clean.

figolamingo

figolamingo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Broni, i tried memtest. Set it running then went out for the day. All in all it was running about 13 hours and it didn't find one error.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
After some more searching, it appears to be a problem known to Dell.
See here: http://support.dell....o...&doclang=en
If the above doesn't help, I'd call Dell.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
(this isn't a Dell laptop)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Ooops. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
However, the steps from my link seem to be irrelevant to computer brand. They may be worth to try.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hehe I tried it in the second post. :)

I think the problem is that none of us are familiar with your BIOS. I think your best course of action here is just to contact Fujitsu Technical Support for assistance. I prefer chat support. :) This is a known issue for many vendors, and I'm sure that Fujitsu will be able to walk you through the exact steps to get the Intel Matrix Storage Manager reinstalled and functionality restored.

Unless anyone here is familiar with Fujitsu BIOS?