Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Very strange display problem.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, hopefully someone can help me out. A couple of months ago I first noticed my computer doing something a little weird. The display is getting really messed up. It's hard to explain, so I took a screen shot, which you can click on below.

Notice all the artifacts, making the text nearly unreadable. I have a Radeon 9600 Pro that I've had since they were nearly brand new, so my first thought is that it's finally time to replace (I've already ordered a new one for $20 off ebay). I just thought I'd try to find out if getting the new card will indeed solve my problem. I have a newer asus motherboard, only a year or two old.

This happens in both Ubuntu and Windows XP, though it seems to be much worse in Ubuntu (I have both OS on my system.) Sometimes it gets really bad an I need to restart my computer. I've tested both the VGA and DVI outputs, separately and together, the problem is always there.

Thanks for any input :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That would be a problem with the graphics card. The fact it does the same thing in two different operating systems confirms as much. Not fixable, easier to buy a new card.