Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

So Slow, Where to go?

• Please log in to reply

rlott2k

rlott2k

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All
My home pc is just getting slower by the day. I have run AVG 8.0 and Spyware Terminator both rresulting with no infections. The problem mostly is rebooting. I know this pc ia a little old but I'm looking to hang on to it for 1 more year. I run Window washer 1x a week and defrag both harddrives 1x a month.
My vitals are
Athlon xp 2200
512mg ram
1- 20g (c drive) stores win xp startup and other files used 16 g free 2g
1 -150g (f drive) stores downloads ,games pics etc. used 22g free 125g

I bought the 150g drive as the other was filling up.
Do you think it is solely because of the c drive being tooo full?
If so can I transfer it over to the f drive w/o loosing too much data?
I hate spending hours running update after update.

Also of note I recently had a problem where I could not start up occadsionally.
When re-booting It would hang just when power came back on. Floppy light the cd licht wouls light up over and over. Hitting re-set 4-50 times would usually fix it but it got to where it wouldn't fire up at all so i took it to my pc dealer.
He claims that the power supply was the problem and that only 1 kind of power supply fixed it. The others wouldn't work.
When i got it home every 3rd or 4th boot up hangs like previous, and i have the hit reset as its 1st starting.Also now my sound doesn't work. I reinstalled the sound drivers and still no sound. He also installed a multi card (sd/mmc/xd) reader. Maybe thats playing havoc?

Thanks ,in advance, for your help
Randy

Advertisements

rlott2k

rlott2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
oops heres my log if require
Randy

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You may have some other issues, but what I can see clearly is:
1 you may want to travel to Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here section (btw, your HJT version is outdated).
2. Windows needs at least 15% of a free space to operate correctly. This is 3GB in your case, you have 2GB. You need to move some stuff from C drive to F drive.