Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is gaming safe?

• Please log in to reply

pcgeek

pcgeek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys.
I am a big fan of Warcraft and Gears Of War. I also used to be a big Need For Speed Addict.

I don't game much anymore but I do the occasional session with my buds every so often.

The question that I have and you guys may think it is quite stupid is:Do you think there are risks involved in gaming? My one friends family told me that he is completely addicted and it is causing his social life distress. He is literally nearly 30. He is an insane case really, he probably is like alot of other people out there but he is the only guy I have met in person like this.

Wiki has this to say: http://en.wikipedia...._game_addiction and I found this too that sums it all up quite decently http://www.pc1news.c...g-it-safe-.html

I just am wondering what everyone else has to say and if you think gaming addiction can cause extreme harm?

:)

Edited by pcgeek, 06 November 2008 - 08:07 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

:Do you think there are risks involved in gaming? My one friends family told me that he is completely addicted and it is causing his social life distress. He is literally nearly 30. He is an insane case really, he probably is like alot of other people out there but he is the only guy I have met in person like this.

....as with anything (food, alcohol, drugs, etc..) ANYTHING that's done to an extreme is dangerous....some people are prone to addiction and will get consumed by things that they do and only focus on these things....and gaming is one of the things that can do this to you...

it's one thing if you're a pro (a concept that still confuses me) and you actually get paid to game....but if you're just doing it for fun...and all you do is game and it hurts your REAL life in any way...then you need to seek help

pcgeek

pcgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So you think it is a personality trait maybe as opposed to games themselves?

This guy is mad though I am not sure how a girlfriend put up with him. He literally said he would sit for 17 hrs straight , and that was considered normal for him. He would come to work and tell me stuff like "I bought a car" and it would be in the game he was itching to go back and play.

Do you know what causes gaming addiction anybody and opinion and signs of it? :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
game addictions are caused by the EXACT same things as drug addictions, or any other addictions....

when you do something that makes you feel good...there are various "pleasure" chemicals that are released in your brain (mainly ceratonin(sp?) or dopamine)...these chemicals make you feel good so you want to keep doing whatever it was that you were doing...

with a drug addiction you're actually getting addicted to these chemicals in your brain.....with a physical addiction (like games or sex or whatever) it's the same...so you have to keep upping the doses of whatever is causing the chemical levels in your brain to rise so that you can keep that "high"

pcgeek

pcgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Wow. I remember that this particular friend used to get so involved it was insane. So if it is another form of an addiction why not have treatment centres for gaming.

I still just wonder why gaming? why that addiction over any other? Is there something about sitting infront of a pc that has addiction elements to it? Maybe it is the escapism that it creates? :)
Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So if it is another form of an addiction why not have treatment centres for gaming.

United States and Canada
McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts has set up "Computer Addiction Services"[32]. Elsewhere, gamers may seek services at generalized addiction support centers. At one such center in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, excessive gaming accounts for 80% of one youth counselor's caseload.[33]

Online Gamers Anonymous, an American non-profit organization formed in 2002, is a twelve-step, self-help, support and recovery organization for gamers and their loved ones who are suffering from the adverse effects of excessive computer game playing. The organization provides a variety of message boards, several on-line meetings and other tools for healing and support.

anything can be addictive...depends on how you react to it....if you happen to go out and smoke crack....you'll probably get addicted to that...if what you usually do to have fun is play games...then that's what your addiction will be

pcgeek

pcgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Wow that is great I fully think that this is GREAT! Next there will be a blue book for gaming addiction except it will be an online version or e book,probably only way futuristically.
I have respect to that. They also need clinics for internet addiction in my opinion :) Big time :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Haha...This is exactly why I *don't* do much gaming - Because I don't want it to run my life. I don't think that occasionally playing a game for a while is harmful, but your friend needs serious help!