Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Funny Folders & files on my computer

• Please log in to reply

topperking99

topperking99

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello -
Ever since I installed SP3 on my XP machine, I have noticed the following folders in my WINDOWS folder:

$NtUninstallKB873339$

There are lots of them - I assume they are to do with SP3 -

Also in my C Drive I see the following files listed from 0 to 19 -

sqmdata00.sqm

Can you please tell me what they are and can I remove them?

If they are to do with SP3 can I move them somewhere else? Should I un-install SP3 (Add/Remove Programs?)

Thanks
:)

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi topperking99!

These files are in fact important files for removing updates, should they become problematic. You'll notice that the icons for these files and folders are slightly lighter than normal icons - this indicates that they are normally hidden. If you would like to re-hide these files and folders, simply open My Computer, go to the Tools menu and select Folder Options. Click the View tab, and look in the box of options in the bottom half of the tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click the circle next to Do not show hidden files and folders, and right below that click the box that says Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). The normally hidden files will be hidden again, and you won't see the NTUninstall or SQM files, among others.

Let us know if that worked for you!

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Admiral -
That worked ......

I also have lots of files that look like this:

KB885836.log

What are they?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Those are just installation logs for each update, telling you what happened during the installation. Since the installation is over with, those KBblahblah.log files are OK to delete.

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks a million for all your help!

Take Care

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also...IF the $NtUninstallxxxx folders are taking up a large amount of space (unhide them and highlight the whole group then right click and choose properties...this will tell you the total file size) you can burn those folders off to a CD or transfer them to a different hard drive or whatever and in the event that you need to remove an update you just put them back where they started

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Everyone for all your help!!