Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Outlook 2003 blocking links - UPDATE

• Please log in to reply

Fencer

Fencer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm working with XP Home Edition and MS Outlook 2003 is my email client. Two weeks ago, after I had a malware infection (apparently solved), Outlook started showing a dialog box whenever I try to follow a hyperlink, saying that something like "this operation was cancelled due to restrictions in this computer. Contact system administrator" (freely translated from Portuguese). Since I am the system administrator, I tried every possible configuration under the tools menu, but it keeps doing the same. Even tried to pick a restore point previous to the beggining of the problem, but it didn't work either.
What shall I do?
Thanks in advance for your competent help (as usual)!
P.S. I repaired MS Outlook and lost all of my folders, but now the links will start IE. Strangely, however, it opens IE homepage, not the link it was supposed to open!

Edited by Fencer, 07 November 2008 - 02:56 AM.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Outlook/Outlook Express web-links will always use Internet Explorer - Windows is 'programmed' to behave like that. To get them to use a different browser requires a registry edit or a utility which does the same thing.

To fix the home-page problem and make the link open on the correct page try this:

go to internet options in the tool menu
go to the programs tab
select the reset web settings options

Fencer

Fencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Fantastic! Geekstogo strikes again!
Cheers.