Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive error Code 19

• Please log in to reply

tlubell

tlubell

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My laptop's CD-RW/DVD combo drive cannot be started by Windows XP (SP3), and device mgr reports the Code 19 error, presumably registry problem. From reading lots of posts here and at other sites, I gather lots of people experience this same problem, and I think I have already followed all of the troubleshooting steps:

> Verified the hardware itself works fine; the drive is usable, just not in Windows on this machine.
> Have successfully installed the latest firmware updates OK.
> Tried uninstall, reboot, then installed again; plug-n-play detects the drive, recognizes the correct hardware, and then reverts to Code 19 error. Can't escape this loop.
> Tried the regedit fix that I've seen documented in several places for removing uppoer/lower filters from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -- As expected, there were such filters from other software. Removing them caused no new problems, but did not fix the Code 19 error.
> Tried applying the CDgone patch. Again, did not work.
> Tried reverting to system restore point, but I guess the oldest one I have doesn't go back far enough till before the error.

Is there anything else to try? In reading all the posts from so many other users, what I've found so far is that either one of the above steps worked for that person (usually the upper/lower filters removal); or else the posts just seem to peter out, with no further help suggestions, and no reported success. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The only thing I could think of is just to rebuild the registry, by performing a repair installation of Windows XP. This post by admin is very informative and will walk you through the repair installation. Please pay attention to step 2: there is a chance of data loss, however small. Backup anything important to you.

Of course, this may not be the only solution short of a full reinstallation of Windows XP, but it's all I've got. :)

Edited by The Admiral, 06 November 2008 - 10:12 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstal. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

tlubell

tlubell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the 2 replies. I think I'll try Broni's suggestion first, as it sounds like it might be simpler than The Admiral's XP repair option. Quick question before I do. When I expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, I see Primary & Secondary Channels as you say -- they say "IDE" though, not "ATA". I also see a third entry: "Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA". Is any of this a concern, or should I just proceed with uninstalling the two Primary/Secondary IDE Channels, and ignore the ATA Storage Controller? Thanks again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Primary/Secondary IDE Channels are what you want to delete.

tlubell

tlubell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK, I uninstalled Primary/Secondary IDE Channels; automatically forced a reboot, and then after logon it requested another reboot, which I did. Then reinsert CD-RW/DVD drive, it discovered the hardware OK, and once again went back to Code 19 error. This is the most persistent error! Any other ideas?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Already tried in the original poster's fourth >

Did you try the repair installation yet?

And does another drive work in this computer?

Edited by The Admiral, 12 November 2008 - 09:44 PM.

tlubell

tlubell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have not tried the XP repair install yet -- that will be my last option if no other suggestions. I did try another drive in this machine, and it resulted in the same Code 19 error.