Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very loud heatsink - Looking for a new suggestion.

• Please log in to reply

Fyrex

Fyrex

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I built my rig earlier this year and it's been working great, though I have one thing that upsets me, whenever I do anything that takes a lot of CPU usage my main CPU fan goes on at 50C and it's way too loud, it's audible from down the hall. It rattles the whole case and it's a ridiculous amount of noise. It's a cheap CoolerMaster heatsink and I'm just ultimatly looking to upgrade to a new higher quality heatsink, one that hopefully won't rattle everything and make a ton of noise.

I have:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
EVGA nforce 680i SLI Motherboard
Thermaltake Armor series Full size case

I'm willing to spend well for a decent heatsink that'll keep it cool without making too much noise.
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Here's a very decent one for cheap. You can get the Xigmatek heatsink and pair it with a Retention bracket for easy installation (however you have to take out your motherboard for this retention bracket as it needs to be installed at the back). You can choose not to purchase the retention bracket and installation should be the same as the stock heatsink (4 push pin).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when you switch the heatsink, make sure that your processor is cleaned off of the thermal paste.
I believe the Xigmatek does not come with the thermal paste pre-applied but provides a tube for you.

Edited by kamille316, 06 November 2008 - 07:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Fyrex...

Zalman 9700 series coolers are quiet and effective. I've had very good luck with them.

Like kamille316's suggestion, you may have to remove the motherboard to install this cooler. All the mounting hardware is included, including the thermal compound. It also comes with a control so you can adjust the performance as needed.

wannabe1

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hm is there any alternative solutions, I really don't feel like taking everything apart just for the heatsink, are there any good ones that I can just install without removing the motherboard?

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hello Fyrex...

Zalman 9700 series coolers are quiet and effective. I've had very good luck with them.

Like kamille316's suggestion, you may have to remove the motherboard to install this cooler. All the mounting hardware is included, including the thermal compound. It also comes with a control so you can adjust the performance as needed.

wannabe1

I decided to go with the one you offered,
Will this specific model fit with my motherboard/CPU?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, it will install on your motherboard/cpu setup.

You will most likely have to remove the motherboard for the install, but it's well worth the effort.