Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA PCI Host Card recognition problems

• Please log in to reply

smw092

smw092

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey

Im running Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and I recently purchased a Vantec SATA PCI Host Card Int/Ext SATA Ports (http://www.tigerdire...sp?Sku=V13-8002). I have it installed, but vista doesn't recognize it and the driver disk I was provided with seems utterly useless. Basically this (http://www.vantecusa.../view_detail/29) is all the information they give me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by smw092, 07 November 2008 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It tells you on that page the device works under 64-bit Vista. Download the drivers and then when Windows wants a driver, point it at the downloaded and extracted files from that site.

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The thing is, windows never even recognizes it, let alone asks for a driver...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Then the solution would be see if it shows up on the POST screen (the first screen with all the writing on it) and/or ensure its pushed fully into the PCI slot. Or try another PCI slot.

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Its the only PCI slot currently available, POST doesn't recognize it, and it is mounted correctly. I was told on another forum that because of Microsoft Advanced Host Controller Interface (MSAHCI) being disabled in Vista service pack 1, the only way to get it to work is make some registry edits or reinstall vista. Think this statement has some merit?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
AHCI is a technology that was introduced in Vista. If it is removed in SP1 none of these shiny new computers with Vista pre-installed would have booted ever again.
If you think the card is faulty, try it on another computer. If there's no joy there, send the card back as faulty for replacement.